Monday, February 23, 2015

Welcome

Welcome to Light in the Darkness. If a Google search of Springsteen's Light of Day or Darkness on the Edge of Town landed you here, feel free to hang around for a while before continuing your musical journey. The subtitle pretty much sums up who the blog is for: seekers, skeptics, and followers. In other words, everyone.

It won't take long for the observant reader to figure out what this blog is about: following Jesus. I debated with myself for a long while before starting it, because Lord knows (pun intended) that there are a ton of similar sites out there. But then again, maybe not so similar. Consider who finally convinced me to do it; not a pastor or mentor, but a magician. An atheist magician no less:

“I’ve always said that I don’t respect people who don’t proselytize. I don’t respect that at all. If you believe that there’s a heaven and a hell, and people could be going to hell or not getting eternal life, and you think that it’s not really worth telling them this because it would make it socially awkward...how much do you have to hate somebody to not proselytize? How much do you have to hate somebody to believe everlasting life is possible and not tell them that? I mean, if I believed, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that a truck was coming at you, and you didn’t believe that truck was bearing down on you, there is a certain point where I tackle you. And this is more important than that.” - Penn Jillette of the duo Penn & Teller

Like I said, maybe not so similar to other blogs on the subject, since I've mentioned two Springsteen songs and quoted an atheist while only mentioning Jesus once. And that's important if we're going to engage in any kind of real conversation, at least as real as you can get in this weird virtual world. I'm not some Ivory Tower theological academic and definitely not a fire-and-brimstone prophet, though both of those have their place in this conversation. I am just like you: I have good days and bad days, love my kids while occasionally wanting to strangle them, and still hope that some day I will be a roadie for the E Street Band. To paraphrase Penn above, I do believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that everlasting life is possible by following, really following, Jesus. And since I don't hate you (quite the opposite), I need to tell you about it...no matter how socially awkward things might get.

When you think about it, the real question is why we don't all talk about it more, regardless of what we believe. I have talked to people for weeks about the catch that Dez Bryant made against Green Bay (and it was a catch), and have been urging total strangers I see in bookstores to read Zafon's novel The Shadow of the Wind for nearly a decade. Again to quote Penn, "this is more important than that."

So I hope you'll stop by again, read and ponder, comment and debate, encourage and question, and just generally get involved. My next post will explore some thoughts on the least controversial book ever written: the Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment